Ventura Uncontested Divorce
Learn How We Can Help! Call (805) 291-4858
When a couple wishes to
divorce and can amicably agree on major issues such as property division, they
can save time and money by filing for uncontested divorce. Our Ventura
family law attorney can determine if you are eligible for an uncontested
divorce and represent you in family court so you can rest assured that
your rights are being protected by a legal professional.
Law Offices of Janet L. Mertes consistently provides clients with the power to make informed decisions
about their future while offering knowledgeable advocacy in court. You
have certain rights when it comes to
family law, and we work hard to protect them.
Do I qualify for an uncontested divorce?
In California, uncontested divorce is also known as a summary dissolution.
It is only available to those couples who meet certain requirements.
To be eligible for an uncontested divorce:
- One spouse needs to have been a California resident for at least six months
- One spouse needs to have been a resident of the county for at least three months
- No minor children are involved and neither spouse is pregnant
- The spouses have been married less than five years
- Neither spouse has any real property other than a lease under one year
- Unpaid debts do not exceed $6,000 other than for a car
- The couple has marital assets worth less than $38,000 total
- All assets and debts have been settled in a settlement agreement
- Neither spouse is seeking alimony
You will need to sign all relevant documents and review the summary dissolution
information booklet so you understand what to expect and what is expected of you.
Get the Experienced Counsel You Need
While no attorney is required since an uncontested divorce will avoid a
court hearing, it is highly advisable that you speak with a qualified
Ventura family law attorney so you fully understand if you meet all the
necessary requirements and file all papers correctly so as to take as
little times as possible.
Get in touch with the Ventura divorce firm and for a
free case evaluation—(805) 291-4858!